Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Shift Happens

You have probably seen the bumper sticker that says "Shift Happens".

A pun of the popular phrase sh*t happens, shift can also happen.
And it's in our hands.

Change Your Thinking, Change Everything

A shift in our thinking, a shift in how we see the world or ourselves, can make an enormous shift in what shows up around us.

If I think that the world is not a friendly place, then that is what I will see. If I remember that the universe is FOR me, not against me, I will see a kinder, gentler world.

Why is that so?

Well, mostly because I am changing what I bring to a situation.

For example, I tend to prefer one-on-one or small group interaction to a crowd. I enjoy being hostess to a gathering of people I know. But put me in a sea of strangers, and I clam up, tighten up, and want to disappear.

But I have had days where I felt so good that a crowd didn't bother me. The people probably weren't that different that day, but I was. I was coming from a place of being full and giving of myself from the overflow, rather than hesitant in a roomful of strangers. It's what I discovered one time when I went dancing in the dark.

I mean... look at these 2 pictures. Which one would you want to talk to?
The difference? In one I thought of being uncomfortable. In the other I enjoyed the music that was playing on my computer. I'm having more fun in the 2nd picture, and it shows.

Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

You can even try it at home, in your imagination.
Just remember a time when you felt expansive, happy, filled up with life and joy. Really get into it and remember how it felt in your body. When you can feel the smile on your face and the spaciousness in your body, think of that crowd or intimidating situation. Maybe you need to give a speech, or sing in front of an audience. How would it feel to walk in there feeling this expansive? How would your experience feel different? Is it better? Is there an openness that wasn't there before? Are you having more fun?

How About You?

Have you noticed this kind of shift? Tell us about it!




No comments:

Post a Comment