Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Life is a Smorgasbord

Life is a Smorgasbord. Take what you want. Leave the rest for someone else.

This summer brings lots of gatherings, many of them potlucks. These are opportunities for me to practice mindfulness in what I choose... both at the table and in life.

It's a Practice In Choice

Just like at a potluck, I don't need to complain about the things I don't like. I can leave them on the buffet table. I can enjoy the things that look yummy. I can be surprised by some new things I've never tasted before. And delight in seeing some of my favorites. And just like in life, there are plenty of opportunities to overdo it - overeat at the potluck or overdo in life.

What Am I Bringing to the Table?

And just like when I go to a potluck, I make sure that what I bring to the table is something healthy, nutritious, and delicious.

If I bring brownies, I know that I'll over-indulge in them and regret it later. Either within an hour in my stomach or the next day at the scale.

If I bring fruit salad, I know that there will be at least one thing there that I will like. And hopefully other people will enjoy it as well.

How About You?

What's your favorite thing to bring to the table at a potluck, or in life?


No comments:

Post a Comment