Wednesday, April 1, 2015

April Fools' Day

Have you ever felt like a fool?
Even if it's not April Fools' Day?

If you are human, chances are it's happened more than once in your life.
At some point, we all get a little lost in the moment, or a thought, or a person.
Know what I mean?

But I am learning, after a few decades on the planet, that I don't need to be fooled by my old patterns and programming. What's that you say? I mean the thoughts that are the background of my mind. My emotional landscape. 

Your Set-Point

We have a happiness set-point, like a thermostat. We have a Love set-point, a trust set-point, a money
set-point. We have a set-point for just about everything you can name.

It's like the upper limit of what is normal to us.
So if your life until now was not happy for example, you may not know any different. You may not have what we call a Mental Equivalent, a living example of what happiness (or money or trust or health) looks like.

Hanging out with people who are focused on improving their minds really helps! I appreciate my spiritual community for being that place for me.

So How Do You Change That?

My favorite way is to look for people who have what I want, and then notice whatever I can that can add to my own picture of happy. Or love. 

I worked in an office where nearly all the men were married, and I worked with up to half dozen men who seemed quite happily married. I was single, and hoping for a good relationship. So I just let myself be aware of the men's energy, presence, attitudes. In that way, I started building an idea of what a man looks like who is committed, happy, and friends with his wife. I also practiced feeling that I already WAS in a committed, happy relationship. Those are both ways to build a Mental Equivalent. It's a way to teach your brain what you want. To install a new normal in your subconscious so you can recognize what you want when you see it. That's courtesy of your Reticular Activating System.

Young kids are also great examples of happiness, cooperation, love, and tolerance. I mean kids young enough that they haven't been taught otherwise.

Back to Happy

If you are interested in a great resource for re-programming your happiness level, I suggest Marci Shimoff's book, Happy For No Reason. Google her, and you'll find some free resources.

So have fun! And don't worry too much about looking a fool!

How About You?

How do you like to outwit your obsolete mental programming?
How do you install upgraded mental software?




No comments:

Post a Comment