Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Why I Don't Watch the News

I don't watch the news.
Some people think I'm buring my head in the sand.
I think I'm protecting my mind from the news' negativity bias.

Negative What?


We all have it.

Has this ever happened to you?

You have 10 great interactions during the day, and one bad one, and then obsess on the bad one and forget about the good one.

Turns out our brains are wired that way.
It has to do with survival.

And it makes sense when we know what's happening.

If there are 10 friendly exchanges people in our day, that's great.
Then one bully or one traffic incident, and wham! we forget about the greta stuff that happened before. Or we don't notice the good stuff that happens after that.

That's because our brain wants to make sure we avoid that bad or dangerous situation if it ever happens - or starts to happen again. You know, the old Fight/Flight/Freeze response.

Friendly is great, but as far as your survival mechanism is concerned, if you die in traffic or a barroom brawl, then there's no opportunites possible for the good, friendly, peaceful stuff.

No News Is Good News

I'm guessing that's why the news is almost 100% bad news. I've heard the phrase, "If it bleeds, it leads." Apparently someone decided or discovered that bad news sells. Just not to me.

It's not hte first time I've marched to the beat of a different drum.

I hear about the important stuff in other ways. I choose not to saturate my mind with bad news.
I don't even watch TV shows like NCIS, which gave me nightmares. Or Revenge, or any of the shows that focus on our shadow side. And I can't wrap my head around why anyone would want to watch the Biggest Loser berate people, let alone be on the show.

If you are saying to yourself, "That girl is too sensitive.", you are not alone. I've heard that for decades. Believe me, I tried being tough. Thing is, I don't see it as a good thing to harden my skin, my heart, or my mind to the pleasant and healthy things in life.

I don't see watching the news or gory TV and movies as a way to learn to live in the real world. I see it as junk food for the mind. As far as I know, my brain doesn't get physically fat, but my mind would swell with shadows and fear and noise and chaos. It would contribute to an underlying sense of un-ease. The way I see it, there's more than enough of that kind of thing in my day-to-day life. Why would I want to watch other people go through that?

What Is Real?

I think the REAL world is one that we routinely ignore. It is the deep, rich world inside ourselves.
That's where I can touch God. But only if I un-clutter my mind and heart. Only if I sit quietly and listen to that still small voice. To my breath. Only then can I start to become aware of the incredibly subtle, always present sweetness that is life Itself living as me.

When you look into a baby's eyes, you know there's something there. You recognize it because you are still that Light. We just forgot somewhere between schooling and the laundry.

So try this: Take a moment to breathe deeply and really feel the air going in your nose and lungs. Maybe go outside and enjoy any nature you can see. Or the clouds. Who is it that knows that you are doing this? Who is it that might think it's silly?

How About You?

Do you sleep better when you skip the news and crime TV?
Do you relish the times you can sit quietly with yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment