Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Feminine Power

What does word feminine mean to you?
What does the word power mean to you?

Do they go together in your mind?

The Western Woman Will Save the World

Back in 2009, the Dalai Lama said that he is a feminist, and said that he believes that Western women will save the Western world.

For more on that comment, click here.

I think that he means that it is the feminine, life-affirming side of us that will save the world from the masculine profit-driven side of us.

Unchecked greed and consumerism is killing us. Respecting and caring for our home – this planet – and for each other, is the only thing that will save us. That is traditionally a feminine role.

Survival of the fittest doesn't mean the strongest or meanest or fastest. It means survival of the most cooperative, the most adaptable, the most intelligent. I don't mean book-learning, which is also vital for solving the problems we as a species have created. I mean being able to see the consequences of our actions and our attitudes, our thoughts and our deeds.

In Spite of Or Because?

Women have been allowed to vote for less than 100 years. And at the same time, we have the power to save the world form the path of destruction we seem hell-bent to follow.
Isn't that interesting? We got the vote just 5 years before my mother was born. We went into the work force during World War II. We got birth control in the 60s. These three milestones have allowed us so much freedom.

So how will we use that freedom?

Change begins in our own minds. So every day I have hundreds of opportunities to choose peace, kindness, and life. To trap and carry that spider outside instead of squashing it. To use vinegar instead of insecticide. To pull weeds rather than spray toxins on the ground, allowing them to seep into the water table. To put on a sweater instead of turning up the heat. To plan my errands so I make a loop once or twice a week instead of running to the store every time I need something.

Mindfulness

For me, mindfulness is a big form of power. It keeps me centered and calm. It keeps me aware of the big picture in my life and in the world. Not so ironic that going inside myself makes me feel bigger, more expansive.

Masculine and Feminine Kinds of Power

As you probably know, we all have both masculine and feminine inside us. So this is not to say that only men use masculine power and only women use the feminine variety.

Claire Zammit of Evolving Wisdom, has a beautiful list of words that compares commonly-held assumptions about masculine and feminine Power.

Which Kinds of Power Do You Choose From This List?




















For 2 free audio downloads, and for more information about Claire's Feminine Power program, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment