Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Peeling the Onion

I've heard the spiritual journey likened to peeling an onion.

When I first heard that analogy, I remembered something that happened when I was 17.

I was riding my bicycle home after my first love told me he was marrying someone else, I suddenly felt free and happy, realizing that a layer had fallen away. I felt like an onion that had been liberated of one of its outer layers.

Everything that you are, is already in you. You are simply uncovering that perfect Light that you are.

Call it the real you, your essential Self, your true essence, your spirit, the witness, or many other names. Whatever you call it, at some point, you have probably felt the you inside of you.

Who is that?

It's the awareness in you that knows who you are, what you are doing at any given moment, knows that you are speaking, breathing, playing, working. 

That awareness is you. 

That awareness is God, Spirit, the Force, Life. We all have different names for it. But we all know it when we stop a moment to listen.

Try It, You'll Like It!

Close your eyes. How do you know you are here? You feel your body as it sits on a chair or stands. If
it is quiet where you are, you feel and hear your breath.You become aware that you are thinking. That is the part of you that knows that you are doing those things.

We only feel divided because we learned to be that way. Just like our parents, peers, teachers, and their parents, and so on back through the generations. All the way back to the Garden of Eden where we first thought we were separate from the One that created us.

So that's all meditation is. Just sitting still for a few minutes to be still in that presence that you are.

Give It a Whirl

If you've never tried it, I recommend it. Just sit and be as though you were sitting quietly with a good friend. Someone who knows you better than anyone on Earth. If sitting still isn't your style, try walking silently in nature. Or dancing or singing. Anything where you forget "yourself" and have the chance to just BE.

If you do this regularly, you just might notice that you feel more peace in your life.

You may Also Like:
Don't Believe Everything You Think
Feeling Without? Look Within
How Did I Get Here?
What If I Just Can’t Connect to My Inner Knowing?

How About You?

Do you sit quietly to meditate, or prefer walking or some activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment