Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Don’t Believe Everything You Think

Don’t Believe Everything You Think.

That’s the subtitle of this blog. It’s not just a quip or a smart remark.

It means that we have a choice about what we do when we think something. We can follow our thoughts or let our attention be on the more essential self. I was reminded of this again recently in Rev Kim’s Buddhism class.

What does that mean?

Most of the time, most of us follow our thoughts. We believe them. We let them shape and run our lives. But do I ever stop to wonder where those thoughts came from? I often heard it quoted that some high percentage of our thoughts every day are a repeat of the day before. I don’t know how that figure was derived. I mean, thoughts are notoriously slippery things. So how do I notice that?

Well, true or not, we do tend to have a predominant thought process or way of seeing the world. And where did that come from? Some comes from our family of origin, some from the media, some from friends, peers, schoolmates, coworkers. And some are actually original thoughts we come up with on our own.


So how do I not follow my thoughts?

Well, first I need to notice that I’m having a particular thought. So I can set an intention to notice my
thoughts in general. Or I can pick an area I would like to change or experiment with. Perhaps I want to feel better about my appearance or my work or a family member. Life provides endless opportunities and choices for our attention. Just pick one area or subject. And intend to practice noticing what you think about it.

Let's say that I want to change how I think about my weight. I could stand to lose a few pounds. So today I will notice... What do I say to myself about that? When I look in the mirror in the morning, can I catch the thoughts? How am I speaking to myself about that? When I choose something to wear, what are my thoughts? Oh, I can't wear that, it's too tight for me now. Or do I slip into criticizing myself? When I sit down and feel a roll in my waist where there was none for most of my life, can I catch my thoughts about it?

If at first you don't succeed

If you don't succeed at catching your thoughts, that's OK. They are slipperier that an eel. Just intend to notice them, and you will catch them sooner and sooner.

I've noticed that even the thought of going on a diet sends me straight for the junk food. So I simply watch what I do, and notice. And I thank myself when I make a healthy choice, and when I walk away from the potato chips.

The real fun

And the really fun part is when you catch a thought in time to realize that you can choose a different thought. You can decide what to think. You don't need to be on auto-pilot. Now the possibilities expand exponentially. I get to notice whether that thought works for me. And I get to choose another thought to take its place.

I love practicing awareness. Especially with my thoughts. Join me?



What About You?

What helps you catch your thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment