Monday, September 29, 2014

Spirit Is Calling Are You Busy?

Spirit is always calling. Each one of us. Every day.


And sometimes I am tying up the phone line with my busy-ness.

After all, there's work, the pet, the dishes, the laundry, keeping my checkbook balanced, the family. And then there's all that entertainment on social media, Netflix, TV/Hulu, concerts, not to mention a social life.

And if I let myself get caught up in all that, am I allowing any opening for the still small voice within?

Stress Reduction

That is why meditation is suggested as a great method of stress reduction.

If you don't like sitting on a cushion or sofa, then maybe your form of meditation is walking, running, or sitting at the coast watching the immensity and power of the ocean.

Whatever it is, it definitely helps recharge a tired mind. It helps put things in perspective. It helps keep us sane, And healthy.

My Path Began

When I was 17, living in the Midwest in the early 70s, I took a class in Eastern Philosophy. I loved it. There were no classes at that time in that area, so I got a book on yoga, and another on meditation. As I sat for the first time, I heard a clear message, "You cannot go further in until you go out in the world." I had been quite a little recluse for the previous few years. So I did just that. Dropped the meditation and started to venture out into the scary social world.

I meditated off and on during the ensuing decades, and now make it a regular practice. When I get busy and skip it for a week, I notice a huge difference in how I approach my day. I feel not quite balanced. I don't sleep as well. I don't focus as well.

So if you aren't a regular meditator, give it a try. See if it makes a difference in your perspective, patience, and emotional keel.

How Do I Get Started?

Don't know how? You could start with this book: The Power of Meditation.

There are classes too. Check in your area to see what's available.

No comments:

Post a Comment