Monday, September 22, 2014

In the Stillness

Sitting in the silence of the sanctuary on Sunday morning, I feel the stillness. I hear the intermittent coughs, babies, creaking seats as pelople shift their weight.

And all of this appears in the quiet. The Peace. The Stillness.

Have you ever stopped to notice that?

The things that we hear, we hear in the ocean of stillness and quiet.

The things we see, we see in the spaciousness of the invisible presence. Think that's woo-woo? Well, if there was no empty space, we could not exist. Everything would be one big lump of stuff.

Of course, sometimes when life feels overwhelming, it can feel like it is all one big lump.

Return to the Silence

That's why times of silence are so helpful. It's a time to remember that we exist in an ocean of stillness, and that all that happens inside us and around us happens in that field of Being. If you have trouble picturing this, remember the last time you stood at the shore of the ocean. The pounding or quiet surf, the seagulls, the wind, the sky, any boats or wildlife you may see. All of that happens in the space and the silence and the invisible Presence of the All-That-Is.

Or remember the last time you walked through a woodland that was undisturbed by humans. The sounds of the birds, the leaves in the breeze, the smell of the woods. All that happens in the stillness that holds the life in the woods.

What am I bringing to the world?

Sitting in that stillness, the quiet and Peace of my source, my focus is drawn to this Truth. What am I bringing into the space that we call the world? How am I appearing in that space that holds me, that supports me with oxygen and freedom of movement? Am I adding clarity and Joy to my immediate environment? Or am I polluting it with anger or fear or worry? Am I driving my vehicle mindfully, aware of those around me, combining my trips to save gas and not pollute the air? Am I bringing a presence to my world that enhances it or detracts from it?

I have that choice every day. Every moment. I can bring kindness, remembering as Rev. John Watson said, that everyone is fighting a hard battle.

Am I allowing the endless to-do list to get the best of me? Have I recharged my batteries enough to be civil and even kind in public?

Am I appreciating the people I meet in my day? The cashier who stands on their feet all day, remembering all those codes for the produce, and patiently waits as we fumble for our wallet. The person ahead of us in traffic who may be late for an important appointment, or may have just lost a loved one.

Regularly recharging my mental-emotional-energetic batteries helps me bring this awareness to my world. And I enjoy my days much more that way too!

How About You?
How do you recharge your batteries?
What do you like to focus on to bring awareness to your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment