Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day

Labor Day.  What does it mean to you?


The end of summer? The kids returning to school? A day off from work? The last barbecue of the summer?  Working even though others have the day off? The first day you are able to go outdoors during the day without getting a sunburn? The 24 hours you spent delivering your child? (They don't call it "labor" for nothing!

Here's To All the Full-Time Job-Holders

Full time work is not for wimps. At least not for most of us, who are working for someone else, and not in our dream vocation. Then work is labor, as in struggle, dreariness, tedium.

When I was working full time people would ask, "What are you doing on the three-day weekend?" I was so caught up in the day to day tedium, trying to keep my nose above the water, that those three-day weekends nearly always snuck up on me. So my answer was usually, "Stay home and rest." But really I would be catching up on things that hadn't been done: laundry, reducing the population of the dust bunnies on the living room floor, balancing my checkbook. It just meant I had a day to catch up on all the things I didn't have time for. Maybe even have the chance to meditate without having to watch the clock. Pure luxury.


Vacations As Three-Day Holidays

So I started to schedule vacation days on Fridays to get a three-day weekend in any month that didn't already have a holiday. That was wonderful.
And during the slow time of year, I took every Friday off. Much better than the stress of packing, traveling, and then paying for a vacation. I had stay-cations.
Really they were mental health breaks. I still love stay-cations.

Semi-Retired - A Leap of Faith


I am recently retired. Semi-retired. As of a year ago. And I LOVE it. In fact, I don't know how I ever had time to work! But taking that retirement package was a leap of Faith. My pension included health benefits, or I would not have taken it. It doesn't fully support me, but I am so grateful that I took that leap, knowing that Spirit would support me.

I still work part-time at a few different things. And I am so grateful that I no longer need to go to an office for 40 hours a week. And there has always been a source of support - virtual assistant, clients, temp agencies. Because Spirit is my Source and my Supply. And these things are how that Supply flows into my life to support me.

Now I am so excited to finally be studying music! The classes are all during the day, so now I have the chance! I am finally doing what I want to do! So stay tuned for more tunes from me during the coming year!

And have a wonderful Labor Day!

How About You?

Have you ever taken a leap of Faith?



No comments:

Post a Comment