Saturday, May 31, 2014

What A Coffee Filter Taught Me About Life

So I was making coffee the other day, and once again was struck with the thought that the filter affects what I get in my cup. So does the contents in the filter.

And the coffee filter looks like the Science of Mind symbol. I had one on a necklace, and when people
graphic source: Wikipedia
asked what it was, if they weren't familiar with the symbol, I'd say, "It's a symbol of creation."

The top third represents God, the Infinite, whatever you want to call it.

The bottom part is creation. The middle is the Law that makes thoughts into things.

The V represents the Infinite coming into form.

That can be on a macro level of the creation of the Earth and the Universe. It can be on a personal level of our predominant thoughts being the coffee grounds, and the result being the details of our lives.

And although a tea bag could also be used for the analogy, the symbol does kind of look like a coffee filter.

Filters In Perception

So what are the contents of your coffee filter? The predominant thoughts and feelings of your mind. If I decided when I was young that people are not safe to be around, then that is what will end up in my coffee. If I decide that people are kind and loving, that's the kind of coffee I will have in my life. Whatever predominates in my mind and heart are the things that will express in my life.

That's why in Centers for Spiritual Living, we say, "Change your thinking, change your life." If you don't like what you see in your life circumstances, it's time to adjust the content you are putting into it.

There's a part of the brain called the Reticular Activating System. When you need to - or want to - notice something, it kicks in and makes sure that you notice it everywhere. So where once you didn't see any pink flowers, or friendly people, or whatever, suddenly they are everywhere. So use that part of your brain to your advantage. Start with your imagination.

For example, I grew up in a family of engineers and mechanics. I was the artistic one. Although my mother told me I could be anything I wanted, and I could do anything a boy could do for a living, I was coaxed toward more practical endeavors. I grew up thinking that there was what I loved to do, and then there was how I could make a living. And never the twain would meet. So I had to rethink this, and now I am doing work that better suits who I am.

Reframing

If you think that working for money is prostituting yourself, here's another way to look at it. See your work as seva, which means selfless service. Your employer gives you money as a thank you, and the money allows you to have a home and food on the table, so that you can continue to serve.

I'll be writing more on re-framing in future blog posts, so stay tuned!


How About You?


What's your favorite re-frame?


No comments:

Post a Comment