Saturday, May 24, 2014

Slowest Common Denominator

Recently I was in a hurry to get somewhere. I was late.

Those seem to be the times when someone reminds me to slow down. You know, when you need to be somewhere, and the driver in front of you is going 8 miles below the speed limit, and there's only one lane in each direction.

Perhaps they are lost. Perhaps they don't feel well. Perhaps they were recently in a car accident. Perhaps they are distraught about a life situation. Whatever the reason, they are in front of me reminding me to slow down my thinking to the slowest common denominator.

This enforced mental break can help me return to Center and breathe.

If I reflect for just a second, nothing is that important that I should get upset. I'm not in labor. I'm not having a heart attack. I'm not on my way to put out a fire. After all, I'm the one who kept busy right up until the last possible moment I could leave for my destination. I'm the one who forgot that I need to get there a little early in order to find a good parking space. Or any parking space.

What am I in such a hurry for anyway?


A hundred years from now, will it matter if I get there at 10:00 or 9:55 or 10:05? Probably not.

And if I am constantly rushing, thinking about what needs to happen next, about my endless to-do list, then I am missing what is happening right now.

And right now...
... Life is happening.

So I love these gentle reminders to slow my mental pace.
To take a moment.
To breathe.
To Be.

So when I am waiting in line, or when I am at a traffic light, I can enjoy the mini-rest break I have been given.

Ah, that's better.


I'm finding that more and more often, the slowest common denominator is just about right for me.

How About You?

Do you enjoy slowing down and taking a break?



No comments:

Post a Comment