Saturday, May 17, 2014

How My Cat Chose Me

I went to the shelter to choose a cat, and she chose me. 

An Intruder in the House

One night, I saw something from the corner of my eye, and looked up to see a mouse running right toward me. His eyes were right on me, and he froze in his tracks. I asked what he was doing there. He ran off. Ah, that's what those little brown spots were in the kitchen. There's a gap under the door from the kitchen to the garage. Once I get rid of the mouse, I'd better weatherstrip that.

I set have-a-heart traps. I set regular traps. I even set the ones that they stick too. This was one wily mouse. He'd get the peanut butter and not get caught.

When I found him in the bottom of the toaster feasting on the crumbs, I gave the mouse fair warning, "Leave by Saturday, or I will bring home a cat."

On Saturday morning, I sat at my desk to pay bills, and found that they had been shredded in the drawer. Uh oh. Perhaps he was a she and was preparing a cozy nest for more little mousies.

Off to the Shelter

So off to the local ASPCA shelter I went. I'm so grateful for non-kill shelters, and always get my pets there. It was heartbreaking to see the rows of cages, about 2 feet square, with at least 40 cats needing homes. And this was before the housing crash. Since then, they have a wonderful, spacious, new facility for all the animals.

I planned to get an adult cat, thinking they are harder to adopt. I saw one tiny large grey cat in an inside corner cage. I pulled out the shoelace from my pocket, and dangled it in front of the cat. He literally turned up his nose and looked away, but a paw from the neighboring cage reached out for it.

An Unexpected Twist


I looked to see the most beautiful grey and white tabby reaching for that shoelace. I dangled the shoelace closer to her and she had a field day with it. "Ah! A good hunter!" I took her out of her cage so we could interact. She was so tiny. Four and a half pounds, and five and a half months old, according to her papers. She crawled up on top of my head, and you know how sharp a kitten's class are! I pulled her down and held her. She was a sweetie, even if rambunctious.

But she's so tiny! There are possum and raccoons at the creek near my home. She wouldn't survive. So back in her cage she went as I looked at other cats.

A Very Smart Clown

And every time I looked near her, she cocked her head like a dog that doesn't quite understand. It was so endearing. After a half dozen repeats, each time tilting her head further and further, she did a sideways somersault. That was it! She won my heart and a new home.

I was thrilled to learn that she had already been spayed, so I didn't have to be the bad guy and take her for major surgery right after adopting her. All her shots, her microchip, and a clean bill of health. Such a deal!

At home, I set her up in one room with a litter box to let her acclimate, and we've been the best of friends ever since. She's has been with me for nearly 17 years now, much longer than any cat I've had. And she has been a joy every day. She is absolutely magnetic. It is impossible to look at her and be upset about anything.

The Best Cat Ever

Nearly every time I look at her sleeping, sometimes snoring, my heart is so full that it spills out my eyes and onto my cheeks.

She understands mirrors and a half dozen English phrases. She waited for me in the driveway at 5:00, and is my morning alarm clock. She has terrible timing when it comes to lap-sitting and patrolling across my computer keyboard as I work. But she my longest-running friend and the best companion I could have asked for.

Here's an article on how she went from being a 18.5 LB diabetic to a slim and healthy cat.

And the mouse? 

I never saw it again. Not even its tail.

How About You?

Did your pet choose you? Tell me more!


No comments:

Post a Comment