Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Wheel Alignment as Mental Alignment

Wheel Alignment/ Mental Alignment

Do you ever feel like you are not quite on the right road? Or that your a little out of sync with the events in your life? Or has an emotional earthquake shifted your mental status?

Well, like a wheel alignment keeps your car steering accurately, or sheering up a tilted wall can right it, meditation can align your mind to make the ride smoother in your life.

And you don't need to sit for hours a day. In fact, you don't necessarily need to sit to meditate. There are moving meditations, like Yoga. When done mindfully, yoga is a great way to align your mind and body to ease into or out of your day. Or Chi Gong, which I've been enjoying lately. 

The Chi Gong routine I do takes 40 minutes each morning and 20 minutes each night before sleep. It sounded like an awful lot of time before I started, but I find that if I do my practice in the morning, it makes the day go so much more smoothly that it's a great investment of my time. 

And for those evenings when I worked too late or watched TV too late, it makes a big difference in the quality of sleep I get. So on the nights when I think ,"I don't have time for Chi gong tonight. I need to get to sleep." I may spend as much time laying trying to sleep as it would have taken to do the evening routine.

Even just a few deep breaths as a break when you have been sitting at the computer for a couple of hours can be a mini-stress-relief vacation, and make you more productive when you re-focus on work.

And one thing that I've learned the hard way... when I am at the computer, I am learning to listen to the first sign of hunger instead of my usual "I just want to finish this one thing." Because if you're like me, that one thing can easily turn into an hour or more. That's another form of mindfulness. And it is a very good investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment