Monday, January 20, 2014

Can the Future Affect the Now?


With the new Year coming up, many of us tend to review and asses our lives and our success toward our goals. So it has me wondering...

Can what is yet to come can affect what is happening now? Can the future affect the now? Is something yet-to-be in my life directing what happens now?

Walking along a stream many years ago, I saw the water moving in a swirl. I looked for the reason, and saw that there was a small branch a little way down-river. The branch in the “future” of the river was affecting what was happening before it got there. There was a little backup in the flow of the river, creating a little swirl and redirection of the water.

Could my life be like that? I wondered. Could it be that an event about to happen around the bend could create a swirl of events in the Now? Like when I am delayed leaving the house, or choose a different route to work; could that be due to something about to happen? Perhaps I avoided a problem, or perhaps I am learning something from my life now that is necessary for my not so distant future.

Everything’s Connected

With 20/20 hindsight, we can see how events and choices are interconnected. How cool would it be to look at what is and accept it knowing that there is something ahead that created it or allowed for it or helped us avoid a problem? I’ve always loved just about any movie, book or TV show involving time travel or the future, or parallel realities, so this kind of thinking seems obvious to me. There's the classic Sliding Doors, and two current films are Mr. Nobody (on DVD) and About Time (in theaters). But I never really took it past curiosity about it.

My Future Self As Guide

So then I have to ask myself, could I envision my future self and learn from her also? Could I project my mind to where I wish to be 5 years from now, a year from now, and look back at my life now to see what eddies need to be created or are being created? Is it possible to conjure up my future self and ask her how she got there? Could I learn from her and make better choices for an easier path? Could I learn what I need to let go of and what I need to focus on and allow? It’s a new way of talking to myself or visioning myself.

Or maybe Spirit does that for me, and if I just sit down and listen to that still small voice inside, I would know what is for me to do today.

And maybe that's why in the absolute sense, we can't always call a flat tire bad or a good thing good. We'll know more when we have all the puzzle pieces together and can see the whole picture.

Research
We have all heard about research that proves that prayer helps people heal even if they don't know they are being prayed for. I heard about some research where prayers were done over patient files, and the patients got better - in the past. How is that possible?

How About You?
Have you ever realized that something need to happen so you could be where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment