Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Lessons From the Garden Part 2

In Lessons fro the Garden part 1 I talked about how deep the Bermuda grass roots were in the community garden I helped weed.

That's what struck me most about those roots. I dug down about 18 inches, and saw most of the root. And they went deeper than that. As I dug down, following the root to their source, I couldn't help but think about how deep my habits run.

Mental Weeds

 Of course some habits are very useful. Can you imagine if you had to learn all over again every day how to brush your teeth, take a shower, get dressed, or walk?

So habits can make life easier. It's how you can be driving along and suddenly be surprised to find yourself at the store, your office, or a few miles down the road. It's a route you drive often, and so go on automatic pilot for parts of it.

Bad Habits Run Deep

But some of those habits are harmful. And we know that if and when we indulge in them. For me, it's sugar. Which apparently lights up the same parts of the brain as cocaine. Great. What do I do with THAT information?

And those habits run so deep, deeper than that Bermuda grass,  that it seems impossible to change them.

If I follow the roots down deep enough I might find a source. Or like the Bermuda grass, I might find that several appearances on the surface are actually coming from the same tap root. Without getting stuck in analyzing it, I can just notice that they are connected. That in itself can be enough to start changing a habit.

New Thoughts About Bad Habits

So this year I am working on this in a new way. Instead of a war between the part of my brain that wants that cookie and the part that knows it is harmful to my teeth, my blood sugar level, and my waistline, I can take a different attitude. I can remember that taking care of myself is a basic part of my foundation from which I can give my gifts to the world.

If I stay stuck in that inner battle, I am simply being distracted by it. When the real work is much bigger: to express all that I came here to be. So I can build my couch potato resume and eat sweets, or I can use this gift of life that I have been given to create something useful or beautiful.

How About You?

How do you deal with your less desirable habits?


No comments:

Post a Comment