Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Death - a Once In A Lifetime Opportunity

Death is a once in a life opportunity. I don't want to miss it.
That's how I replied as a tween when someone said that they wanted to die in their sleep.

Well, it's once in a lifetime for most of us anyway. We've all heard stories or read books about people who lived to tell about their near-death experiences.

Eastern Wisdom

I've dallied with Eastern Philosophies since I first discovered them at age 17. And some traditions say Tibetan Book of Living and Dying is an excellent resource for anyone interested in this topic. It describes a meditation practice to prepare for this sacred moment.
that our entire lives can be a preparation for that sacred moment when we slip out of the body. The

Whether you believe in reincarnation or not, that moment is when many people finally forgive someone they couldn't, reveal secrets longings of their heart, realize that they wanted to give more of themselves.

A Sacred Moment

In witnessing these sacred moments, I remember that I want to live my life that way. When I hear, "Live each day as if it were your last.", I think of these things. I don't think it means to party til you drop, although some people may want to do that.

My father had an extended illness, and I was honored to witness in my many visits how his energy shifted. My mother died suddenly and unexpectedly, and I wonder whether she felt unfinished as she slipped away.

When I realize that anything could happen at any moment, and any day could be my last on Earth, I imagine what I might feel as I lay dying. What might I regret not saying or doing? What might I wish I had accomplished? Would I feel that I had finished my life... everything I wanted to accomplish? Both in the outer "success" realm, and in the inner, growth realm?

Couch Potato or Deep Living

So instead of watching another movie, I have the opportunity today, this evening, right now, to dive deep inside and ask those questions. To know more about who I am and why I came here. To be more awake instead of working on what the late Linda Webb-Kakabah called her "Coach Potato Resume."

My coach potato resume is pretty impressive already. I'm cancelling my Netflix streaming and Hulu subscriptions.

I want to build other parts of my resume.

I want to listen to the big I-am.



What About You?

What do you think about death?

No comments:

Post a Comment