Monday, August 11, 2014

The Search for a Black Skirt

One Summer years ago, I needed a black skirt. I searched 16 clothing stores, and found one black skirt. But I didn't like it, and it didn't fit.

So I went to 3 fabric stores, thinking I would just make one. I didn't find any black fabric suitable for a skirt.

I was quite puzzled. A black skirt is pretty basic stuff in a wardrobe. I needed it for some function, and it needed to be black.

Did I Miss Something?

Years later, I got to wondering... Because my entire focus was on finding a black skirt, I didn't even notice any other color.  What if there were some really great things at some of those stores that I missed because I was looking for a black skirt?

Now women's clothing stores are a set-up for this kind of thing... we are expected to go in and see
what's available and choose from that. Maybe even focusing on what's in style that season. That's not me, but it's how the clothing world works here, so I've learned to adapt.


Do I Look at Other Stuff Like That?

Our minds work that way too. If we want something, or believe something, our world conforms to that idea. In this case, it was a black skirt. And it happened to be lacking that week.

But it could just as easily have been a search for a partner. Or the perfect home. Or a better job. Or better health. If I focus on what I think I want or need or expect, I may not see what is right in front of me that will work even better.


Thought Creates Reality

If I have a basic, underlying belief that what I want is not available, that will show up as my reality. If I am imbued with the overall flavor of lack in my subconscious, that's what I'll experience.

You've heard me say before that your thoughts create your reality. I didn't put those thoughts of lack there. But when I check in, I know it's one of my beliefs. And it doesn't take much examination for me to see where that belief came from growing up.

 Choosing Something Different


But that doesn't mean I need to live that way now.

I can choose something else. I can re-program myself with new beliefs.

And just like learning to ride a bicycle, I may not perfect that skill right away. But with practice, I can change that core belief buried deep in my psyche. Unearth that malware that wormed its way into my mindset, and upgrade to a better Operating System in my mind. In other words, take the red pill. The Truth I am learning is Freedom. Freedom from old beliefs that limited my options. Freedom from old thoughts that kept me from seeing what is possible. Old habits that keep my stuck in my way of thinking, being, living. When I really want to grow and know and Be so much more.

And it all starts and ends inside my mind. That's the real final frontier.

And that black skirt? I ended up making one.

How About You?


What thoughts have you found and changed that held you back?

No comments:

Post a Comment