Monday, February 17, 2014

Making Worry Work for Me

I'm a worrier. Not a warrior, a worrier. Not as much as some people I've talked to, but I've had plenty of nights where I wake up at 3 am and my brain has it's way with me. Sometimes it's about something in the future, and sometimes it's about something in the past. So I decided to make worry work for me. I'm not talking about big problems, or clinical depression. Just those things that occasionally keep you awake at night.

Why Do We Worry?

I read that people born in the Fall tend to worry more and be more anxious. Something to do with how much sunlight our mothers received in their first trimester. But I don't have to let that stop me. I've also heard it said that worry is a negative use of the imagination. So why not make that imagination work for me instead of wearing me out?

Who's In Charge Here Anyway?

I'm starting to use my imagination to create a different way to think about the same thing. I mean, who's in control here anyway? My brain or me?

So if it's a small worry, like I am going to give a talk or sing in front of a group, I can rehearse it in a positive way. Instead of fretting away for that hour in the middle of the night, I am starting to steer my mind toward picturing the whole thing going beautifully.

This mental rehearsal will help me feel more confident, and let's face it, the lack of confidence is what
gets me worrying in the first place. So I rehearse it going well: breathing deeply and smiling at the joy of singing before going on, the music begins, remembering all the words to the song, hitting all the notes easily and joyfully, feeling really open and beaming out the love, enjoying it as fully as though no one were listening. Only better, because people feel the joy and love it. People enjoying it and humming or singing the tune as they leave. When I think of it like that, there's no room for worry. I could think about how good it will get instead of how bad it could get.

So maybe you're not a singer. Maybe for you it's a job interview. Or not having a job. Or a fight with you significant other. If it's hard for you to imagine a better scenario than the one your worrying mind cooks up, then call a good friend who can boost your spirits and your confidence. Then rehearse the picture they have of you. This is what a Prayer Practitioner can do for you - see beyond the apparent condition or problem or worry to the Truth of who you are.

Schedule Your Worry

You can also set aside time during the day to think about what you know will be on your mind in the middle of the night. In other words, plan your worrying. Give yourself a set time like 5 minutes. Then rehearse everything going right. And if that's hard to do, call someone or get support to help see it differently. There are also free resources for when you need help out of worry or stress.If it's a small worry, then sometimes a walk in the sunshine helps.

How About You?

How do you deal with worry?
Did this seem helpful?



No comments:

Post a Comment